In 2005, fashionistas across America were raving about something called the “Morning After Bag” (or, the M.A.B. for those in the know). On fashion and celeb blogs, “It Girls” of the moment, like Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan, were photographed out and about with the M.A.B. draped casually on their arms. Over on an online chat board called The Purse Forum, Rebecca Minkoff, the bag’s designer, was doing something that, up until then, fashion designers would never dare do: talk directly with and listen to customers (“my girls,” as she calls them) about her designs. This was the beginning of Rebecca Minkoff the lifestyle brand, which is now sold all over the world and includes accessories, clothing, jewelry, and, of course, handbags. Rebecca Minkoff, co-founder of the eponymous brand and author of Fearless: The New Rules for Unlocking Creativity, Courage, and Success, joins the podcast to talk about how she launched an “accessible luxury” fashion brand around milestone moments in women’s lives; how her brand’s success is built on trial, error, and innovation; and what’s ahead for fashion in a world on the precipice of entering the metaverse.
Listen to this episode to learn:
- The story of how a cut-up, remixed “I ❤️ NY” t-shirt helped launch Rebecca Minkoff’s design career in September 2001…and the hustle and hard work she put in afterwards to build her brand
- How technology, NFTs, and the metaverse are impacting the fashion industry
- Why breaking the once-sacred rules of fashion industry engagement has been a business necessity — and boon — for Minkoff
- Why “finding your generals” and “letting go” are key for successful leadership
- How the Female Founder Collective, co-founded by Minkoff, is helping to support female entrepreneurs ad advance women-owned businesses
- Advice for young creatives, innovators, and entrepreneurs who are just starting their careers and are hungry to succeed